Thursday, October 22, 2009

walt disney world

When I found out I would be attending a conference in Miami, FL a few months ago I called up my friend Staci to see if she wanted to meet me in Orlando, FL after my conference. In 2004 Staci and I purchased Walt Disney World 4-day Park Hopper passes knowing that they would never expire and 5 years later we still had one day left on the passes. Staci was up for the trip and we made the necessary arrangements.


After the arrangements were made my knee problem started. A few weeks into my knee problem my shoulders started getting really sore and I was having trouble carrying things, getting dressed (particularly getting shirts on and off), pulling the seat belt on in the car. I had mentioned the shoulder pain to the doctor that ordered the MRI on my knee, his thought process was similar to mine, I was using my arms more because of my knee problem and so my shoulders hurt.


On the 5th of October I met with the orthopedic surgeon and I mentioned to him that I had a trip to FL the week of October 18th, that pushed my knee surgery out further because he couldn't get me on his surgery schedule in time to have 5 days post surgery prior to flying on an airplane due to blood clot risks. Because I was walking with such a limp the surgeon suggested that I use a wheelchair while at WDW and proceeded to write me a note indicating that I needed a wheelchair.




I ended up renting an electric scooter to cruise around WDW, I would recommend this form of transportation in the park, one isn't as tired at the end of the day. Also, while we were in the Magic Kingdom they really catered to me, I got to go to the front of the line and got on rides quickly, there wasn't special treatment in Hollywood Studios or Epcot Center.


After my ride on the "Rock'n Roller Coaster" my shoulders were so sore, I think it gave me whiplash! I could hardly get undressed when it was time to put my pajamas on tonight, I must admit that I had tears in my eyes trying to take my shirt off. I'm just hoping that all of this pain goes away once my knees get fixed and I can start walking and moving normally again!

No comments: