I had a follow up appointment with Dr. Rozelle, the Rheumatologist today, he told me that I don't have full fledged Rheumatoid Arthritis, the blood work was negative for RA but he stands by his diagnosis of an autoimmune inflammatory arthritis. He doesn't have a name for my specific arthritis yet but he did remove some fluid from my right shoulder for further testing. He also gave me a cortisone shot in my right shoulder. Even though I'm not being diagnosed with RA, the type of arthritis fits in the RA family.
Dr. Rozelle started me on a higher dose of Prednisone for the next 4 weeks, I will start a RA medication, Methotrexate on Wednesday, it typically takes 3-6 weeks for this drug to start working (sometimes as long as 2-3 months). The Methotrexate is only taken once a week and Wednesday will be my Methotrexate day. I hope it starts working sooner than later.
I also had a follow up appointment with Dr. King, the surgeon today, he doesn’t think the rotator cuff tears will need surgery, they should heal on their own but we won’t know for sure until I regain the range of motion in my arms. The range of motion should return as the RA drug starts to work and reduces the inflammation currently in my shoulders and knees. The arthritis is what has caused the problems with my knees not healing like they should of, I’m continuing physical therapy on my knees, things should improve immensely for me in the next few weeks. I don't have any more follow up appointments with the surgeon, my knees are healing, it's just the arthritis that is causing the swelling but the steroids and Methotrexate should start reversing the swelling. Even though I wasn’t really looking for a chronic disease as an answer I’m happy to finally have an answer and to be starting a treatment plan.
I saw Dr. Date last Wednesday, she extended my short term disability until Feb 1st. Dr. Date was pleased that Dr. King had sent me to a rheumatologist and thinks I'm in the right place as far as getting help.
In 1997 I ran my first marathon, I ran the marathon through the Arthritis Foundation, I raised $3,000 for them and they sent me to Ireland to run the Dublin marathon…who knew that I was raising money for research that would benefit me in 2010.
Happy 8th Birthday, Luke!
7 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment